Tuesday 26 January 2010

WE DO BURNS AND KINDNESS

Our first song this morning was SIYAHAMBA, and after our altos learned the harmony part we gathered our forces and sang it giving it our best 'Desmond Tutu full African sound'.
Thinking, on the 25th, about Burns songs and after listening to AULD LANG SYNE, it struck me that kindness is a quality Burns mentions frequently in writing about people and I reflected on the fact that relationships can be based on many different qualities but kindness is an essential component in the mix.

We'll tak a cup o kindness yet,
O this is no my ain lassie, fair tho the lassie be,
O this is no my ain lassie, kind love is in her e'e.
I'll meet thee on the lea rig, my ain kind dearie O.


This thought spurred me on to take two of these songs this morning, AULD LANG SYNE, to the older tune, and THE LEA RIG, both of which we enjoyed singing.
Later we learned the AULD LANG SYNE tune, the first part only, on the instruments but enough to hear that it will be effective played this way. Good to take a fresh approach to the lovely old tunes.