Tuesday 22 September 2009

THE CALL OF THE SOUTH

Returning to BIRDS FLY SOUTH today, we sang the four part round in perfect togetherness, the bass ostinato giving just that little bounce to keep the birds going so that the soprano improvisation on names of the big, solitary birds _ osprey, eagle, sparrowhawk, falcon_ was able to soar above the music of the flock.
This good ensemble continued in CONNEMARA lullaby, the melody played today on two flutes, an octave apart, which gave a fine, full sound. The original words of this melody being lost in time, we sang a new text written by one of our members which fitted perfectly both the music and the mood of the melody.

CONNEMARA LULLABY
Words: Ruth Mills
Tune: Irish, Traditional

On peaceful shores the waves are lappng
And calling me to tarry awhile.
I walk beside the sparkling water
And all my cares wash away on the tide.

A gentle breeze embraces me softly,
A gentle breeze is leading me on
To tranquil pools I see before me ,
My cares are washing away on the tide.

Next. we sang through THE CALL OF THE SOUTH, an Irving Berlin arrangement of the Stephen Foster song, Way Down Upon A Swanee River, which features a melody for soprano which complements the main tune. This gives scope to the fine soprano voices in our group and will be interesting to hear next week when they've learned it.
We ended the morning with FAREWEEL TAE TARWATHIE, giving the first verse to our bass singer, in a low key, accompanied by quiet humming from the others. Raising the pitch after that, we enjoyed singing the rest of the verses.