Tuesday 18 September 2007

Week 2 --- Lots of Laughter

Our group (12 today) met on this "cold and frosty morning", and began by loosening up with gentle moves to Fats Waller on 'stride' piano.
Taking our cue from the master improvisor, we then worked on improvising with our voices, a first time for some, even our new member and celebrity Gaelic singer Mairi, until everyone, without hesitation, sang forth a good, improvised phrase of melody.
The call and response, "What shall we do with the baby?" provoked much laughter and everyone is working on additional verses for next week.

Caller: The wind blows high, the wind blows low,
All: The wind blows high, the wind blows low,

Caller: I like sugar in my coffee o.
All: I like sugar in my coffee o.

Chorus: Caller: What'll I do with the baby O?
All: What'll I do with the baby O?

Caller: What'll I do with the baby O?
All: What'll I do with the baby O?

Wrap him up in calico.
Wrap him up in calico.
Give him to his daddy O.
Give him to his daddy O.

That's what I'll do with the baby, O.
That's what I'll do with the baby, O.

That's what I'll do with the baby, O.
That's what I'll do with the baby, O.

Seeyahamba continues to inspire good singing and perhaps next week we'll move on to some harmonising.